Smoked Eel Curry -- Rongmei Naga style!

This dish may not be everyone's cup of tea, and some may even be repulsed by it. However, in my home state, Manipur, eel is a delicacy. We're talking close to a thousand rupees for a kilo of smoked eel. Yup!  As a child i hated eel with vengeance, because my mom served fresh eel as a therapeutic soup when i was recovering from some prolonged illness. It took me a long, long while to overcome the unpleasant memory associated with anything to do with eel. 



I don't exactly remember when i started enjoying having eel, but my! oh my! do i now love smoked eel -- completely in love with it! If you chance upon smoked eel, pray try! I'm still not too keen on fresh eel (it taste exactly like fish when it's fresh); however, it's amazing how the taste completely intensify, and just different and lovely once it's smoked. This distinct flavor is what i have come to so love.



Today's curry is an adaptation of my mom's recipe. When mom makes this curry she uses a whole lot of other local spices, but i'm quite satisfied with this simple and spicy style i have prepared for you today. I hope you get your hands on to this exotic goodness and get to try it! Here's the recipe.


Ingredients:
Smoked Eel - 3-4 
Tomato - 2-3 Medium sized
Dried Red Chilies - 5-6 or more
Garlic Pods - 5-6
Onion - 1 Medium sized, diced
Veg Oil - 2 Tbsp
Water - 2 Cups
Turmeric powder - 1/2 Tsp
Chili Powder - 1 Tsp
Salt to taste

Methods:

Cut the smoked eel into bite size, soak it in boiling water for sometime to soften it. Drain the water and wash it again with change of water. Keep aside.

In a pan, heat oil, fry the onions, tomatoes, and dried chilies till the tomatoes soften.

Now, add salt, chili powder, and turmeric powder, then stir to combine.

Add the smoked eel, allow the flavors to come together, about 2 -3 minutes.

Pour water and let it come to boil, then add the garlic ( smash it with the side of your knife).

Cover it and simmer till it's done.

You may, as always, serve this with hot rice and some nice dried fish chutney or eromba.

Comments

  1. Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you penning this post plus
    the rest of the site is very good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Delighted to be sharing some l-o-v-e from my kitchen with you. If you tried any of my recipe, tag me @pancuisine on Instagram and hastag it #pancuisinerecipe
Cheers!

Popular Posts