Schezwan Prawns - My version

It's been a rough year right from the very first day. I've not been well and even underwent a small surgery..but by God's Grace my health is looking up and finally am able to make my first post for this year.


Today am sharing my take on Schezwan Prawns. Predictably my appetite took a hit due to my illness and so my hubby use to be at his wits end trying to make me eat just enough for me to take my meds. During this time there was this one thing that i absolutely craved, it was Prawns. I loved it in all sorts of way, especially in soups and schezwan sauce. Thankfully there happen to be one Chinese Restaurant that served the best schezwan prawns and pawn clear soup, just the way i love it.


Anyway, today's recipe is nothing like the prawns i had in the restaurant BUT it is a good enough dish to satiate by prawn cravings at home. I prefer to use Tiger Prawns as i love a good bite and it's easier to de-vein.

Ingredients:
250 gms - Tiger Prawns
4-5 Tbsp - Corn Flour
Oil for deep frying
5-6 - Dried Red Chillies, slit in half
Thumb Sized - Ginger, cut into matchsticks
4-5 - Garlic Pods, cut into matchsticks
Handful of cashew or roasted peanut for garnish


( for the sauce)
2-3 Tbsp - Dark Soy Sauce
2 Tsp - Light Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp - Chinese Rice Wine
1 Tsp - Fish Sauce
3 - 4 Tbsp -  Sweet Chilli Sauce
1 Tbsp - Roasted Sesame Oil
2 Tbsp - Red Wine ( Optional)


Method:
De-vein the prawns, rinse and tosh it in corn flour and keep aside
Heat oil.
Once the oil is hot, fry the prawn in two batches, as soon as it turns pink, flip cook for a minute, take it out and let drain in a kitchen towel. The prawns should be crispy outside but soft inside. Be careful not to totally deep-fry it.
Once the prawns are done, measure the sauce ingredients ( except the red wine) into a bowl, mix it up well and keep aside.
Remove the oil used for deep frying, wipe it clean with kitchen towel, measure about 3 tbsp of the oil and heat it up.
Once hot, stir fry the ginger, garlic and dried chillies till nicely roasted, now add the prawns and tosh it a couple of times to let the ingredients combine.
Pour the sauce and give it a quick stir till the prawns are well covered with the sauce. Let cook for just under a minute of two. Heat needs to be medium-high. Add the nuts, stir and turn off heat.
Now add the red wine, stir to thin the sauce and then serve it hot. If you prefer thick sauce, you can cancel the red wine. Also adding red wine adds depth in flavor as well as in the color.

PS: Didn't use red wine in this one, hence the light color.

Comments

  1. Wow! After all I got a web site from where I be capable
    of genuinely take helpful data concerning my study and knowledge.



    Here is my blog post: Mario Lemieux Black Jersey

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Delighted to be sharing some l-o-v-e from my kitchen with you. If you tried any of my recipe, tag me @pancuisine on Instagram and hastag it #pancuisinerecipe
Cheers!

Popular Posts